St. Antony’s Church was established at Thiruvenkidom, located 2 kms northeast of the renowned Sreekrishna Temple in Guruvayur Township. A few families from Palayoor, the cradle of Christianity in India founded by the Apostle St. Thomas, accepted the faith of Christianity and re-located their residence to Thiruvenkidom. These folks used to reach Palayoor Church for their spiritual and sacramental needs. A very long walk up and down to Palayoor was difficult for partaking in the sacraments for distant residents. It was decided then that a separate church would be founded in Thiruvenkidom itself. The Vicar of Palayoor Forane, Rev. Fr. Thalakottoor Kuriyakose knitted 56 families into the Guruvayoor Christian Society and recognized it as an independent parish. From its early days itself the month of May was dedicated to the veneration of mother Mary and the month of January to honour the feast of St. Sebastian. The desire to have a parish together with the church was the vision of the forefathers. An L. P. School was set up on 18 cents of land in the year 1907. This school is still flourishing after a century of service. The first school master was Vakayil Parinchu Asan. Later in 1910, the kozhikode district education office sanctioned an aided lower elementary/primary school. The present day school building was constructed Under the supervision of Rev. Fr. Joseph Vadakoot from Kottapadi church. Today, this school operates under the aegis of the Thrissur Arch diocese corporate agency. In the year 1938 a chapel was raised on land donated by the vadakkethala family and a statue to honour St. Antony’s was brought from Ceylon and consecrated in this chapel. To this day people wonder at the perfect and undamaged condition of this statue, despite exposure to storms.
From 1946 onwards permission was granted to celebrate Holy Mass on all Sundays and other days of obligation in this new chapel. All sacred rites used to be conducted in the churches of Palayoor, Brahmakulam, Kottapadi. From 1960 onwards the sacred functions were brought under the responsibility of Palyoor Church
In 1964 the old chapel was re-constructed and blessed by the Rt. Rev. Dr. George Alappatt. After overcoming many hurdles and obstacles the church obtained Govt. sanction to have a cemetery. on 1.1.1971 the very first burial of the infant Cheeran Varathunny Lanson took place. On 7.2.1988 Bishop Mar Joseph Kundukulam blessed the cemetery chapel that was constructed under guidance of Rev. Fr. John Kidangan
Guruvayoor parish was declared an independent parish on 4th June 1972 which included 237 families. The year 1974 saw this parish acquire its permanent vicar. This vicar Rev. Fr. George Chittilapally supervised and completed the construction of the Rectory. The present day residence was constructed under the guidance of Rev. Fr. Clement Vazhaparambil in 2003. The church you see today was completely renovated to include a concrete roof in 1984, guided by Rev. Fr. Raphel Maliyamavu. Coinciding with the visit to Kerala by Pope John Paul II, Bishop Mar Joseph Kundukulam blessed and conferred the name "Guruvayoor Parish." To make spiritual activities faithful and all church activities gracious, 14 Kudumbakoottaima (family Units) were formed.
The church has 2 chapels in its domain. The chapel at Kandamkulam Junction is in honour of St. Joseph. 19th March is the day set aside for this celebration. Every 1st Sunday of the month will have a Novena offered here. There is a chapel dedicated to Velankanni Mathavu about 100 meters east of this church. Rev. Fr. Jose Kollanoor capuchin took part in the construction and assistance of two chapels
A Grotto for mother Mary was built on 31st of May 1997 to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of the C.L.C.
A stage for the church was built in 1996 in honour of the Silver Jubilee of the ordination of Rev. Fr. Thomas. In 1989, Rev. Fr. Jacob Thacharattil availed the kannalion the "relic" of St. Antony
The parish feast is a sign of devotion of the members of the parish. The 4th Sunday after Easter is earmarked to celebrate the feasts of St. Antony and St. Sebastian together with this the 13th Tuesday is also celebrated. The members of the family unions supervise and conduct all these celebrations.